Creating Aldryn News & Blog content¶
Before using Aldryn News & Blog, you need to set up your django CMS project appropriately (in short, making sure that you have a page with a News & Blog apphook - this only takes a moment).
This page is where your articles will be listed (see Multiple news/weblog sections for multiple lists of articles).
There are various different ways to create a new article:
- From the django CMS toolbar, select Create then New news/blog article. This opens the django CMS content wizard, providing a quick way to add new content.
- If you’re on a page with a News & Blog apphook, select News & Blog > Add new article... from the django CMS toolbar.
- Add a new article in the Django Admin, in the Aldryn News & Blog section.
Most of the fields for an article are self-explanatory, and they behave in logical ways. For example, setting the Publishing date in the future will publish the item automatically at that date/time.
Note that items will not be published until the Is published option has been explicitly set (and the Publishing date has been reached).
A Featured item will be given prominence in lists, such as on the home page of the news section.
Tags are a set of optional free labels. Note that Tags, unlike most other fields, are not language-aware (i.e. the same set of tags is available across all languages). See the Taggit documentation for more.
Categories offer a more formal taxonomy, managed by the Aldryn Categories application.
Application configuration allows you to select which list (if you have multiple Application Configurations) of news/weblog articles the article will be associated with.
Unless you used the Content creation wizard (the Create button) your new article will not have any content other than the Lead-in.
The main content in an article is maintained in its Newsblog Article Content placeholder.
To add content:
- Select your (empty) article, for example from the News & Blog home page on your site.
- By default, you will be in Content mode. Select Structure from the django CMS Toolbar.
- Hit the + button to add a plugin to the Newsblog Article Content placeholder.
- Typically, this will be a Text plugin; add some text and Save.
When you switch back to Content mode, you’ll see your full article.